Women, Peace, and Security’ and Climate Change at the UN: Lessons-Learned, Synergies, and Opportunities (closed event)
28 September, 4-5:30pm CET / 10-11:30 am EST
This interactive dialogue was organised in partnership by adelphi, UNU-CPR, and the Berghof Foundation. It brought together Member States, UN agencies, practitioners, and civil society to define challenges and identify solutions to better integrate the Women, Peace, and Security (WPS) and Climate Change (CC) agendas at the UN, with an eye towards mitigating risk, preventing conflict, and building resilience.
The first part of the event consisted of a panel discussion, in which experts touched upon the gendered impacts of climate change, especially in conflict contexts, and how UN bodies as well as national policies and programmes can better address the nexus between gender, climate and security. In the second part, participants were asked to share their experience in a number of break-out sessions, towards informing a collaborative research publication that offers targeted recommendations to UN agencies and Member States for moving forward effectively and inclusively.
Opening and Closing Remarks
- Andrew Gilmour, Executive Director, Berghof Foundation
- Adam Day, Director of Programmes, UNU-CPR
- Adriana Abdenur, Executive Director/Senior Fellow, Plataforma CIPO/UNU-CPR
- Beatrix Austin, Head of Department. Conflict Transformation Research, Berghof Foundation
- Cristal Downing, Research Manager, UNU-CPR
- Beatrice Mosello, Senior Advisor /Senior Fellow, adelphi/UNU-CPR
- Mayesha Alam, Senior Fellow, UNU-CPR
- Sanam Naraghi Anderlini, Director of the Centre for Women, Peace and Security, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Brian Walsh, Senior Climate Resilience lead, World Bank
- Sharon Bhagwan Rolls, Co-Chair Global Fund for Women & Regional Manager - Shifting the Power Coalition (Pacific)